Follow Wild Scotland
Facebook Blog Twitter Instagram
Bookmark and Share

Stay up to date with Wild Scotland and sign up for our Newsletter

Warning to wild mushroom pickers in Scotland

Wild food foragers are being warned to be particularly careful when picking mushrooms because of a rise in cases of fungi poisoning.

Scotland has a particularly rich supply of wild mushrooms.

But this year experts expect to see an increase in the number of people who accidentally poison themselves.

Scottish Natural Heritage’s fungus expert Dr David Genney said: “Never eat a mushroom unless you know exactly what it is.” He said: “Although not many species of fungi are deadly poisonous, some deadly poisonous species can be quite abundant.”

In recent years, TV chefs such as Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall have encouraged food-lovers to pick wild mushrooms, which can be delicious and sell for a premium in shops and restaurants.

However this year alone the National Poisons Information Service has been contacted by medics seeking advice on 84 suspected cases of mushroom poisoning.

For the full story please visit BBC News.

View All News Items

View All Industry News Items